Corn Bread Hamburger Pie

Thursday, April 12, 2007

I just made this for dinner. It was delicious, although I do plan to increase the amount of filling next time I make it. Probably by adding vegetables - carrots, celery, green beans, etc. would all work well. Oh, and this isn't my picture, I borrowed it from allrecipes.com, where I got the recipe from.

1 pound ground turkey or beef
1 medium onion, chopped or 2 tablespoons minced dried onion
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1/4 cup salsa
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon steak sauce, optional
1 (8.5 ounce) package corn bread mix, prepared or 1 batch cornbread batter - my recipe is on this blog
dried parsley or cilantro

In a large ovenproof skillet, cook the turkey, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, ketchup and steak sauce if desired. Prepare corn bread batter; let stand 2 minutes. Spoon or pour over meat mixture. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes (it actually took 25 minutes in my oven) or until golden brown. Sprinkle with parsley or cilantro if desired.